ITEP In The News
November 24, 2015"In 2012, immigrants paid $11.8 billion in state and local taxes — and according to the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, that number could potentially rise by $2.2 billion once proper immigration reform is instituted." Read more...
November 23, 2015"According to the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, Arizona immigrants currently provide the state with nearly $238 million in state and local taxes. With the executive actions, immigrants would pay an additional $18.7 million in Arizona's local and state...
November 23, 2015"Keep in mind that when they invert, companies like Pfizer are basically moving their official postal address and not a ton more; it's not as if Pfizer is uprooting all of its factories and R&D and moving them to Dublin,...
November 22, 2015"Tax experts say the sales tax extracts an especially high price on the poor. In addition, renters, who constitute 30 percent of the state's households, would receive no direct benefit from property-tax breaks. "There's a reason why Pennsylvania has one...
November 22, 2015"Other rankings concur with the Tax Foundation's assessment that Oregon has relatively low business taxes, in part because the state doesn't have a sales tax. Groups that emphasize fairness also tend to score Oregon well. WalletHub says Oregon has the...
- State Tax Codes As Poverty Fighting Tools
- Undocumented Immigrants' State and Local Tax Contributions
- Who Pays? A Distributional Analysis of the Tax Systems in All 50 States (5th Edition)
- ITEP's Analyses of 2015 Tax Reform Proposals in the States
- Corporate Tax Dodging in the Fifty States
- Improving Tax Fairness with a State Earned Income Tax Credit
- Debunking Laffer on Tax Cuts and Economic Growth
- The ITEP Guide to Fair State and Local Taxes
Tax Justice Blog
- Why Online Holiday Shopping Will Cost More This Year - 11/2015
- State Rundown 11/20: Incentives, Deficits and Unexpected Windfalls - 11/2015
- New Law Endangers Michigan's Fiscal Future - 11/2015
A Primer on State Rainy Day Funds
State Tax Codes As Poverty Fighting Tools
Rewarding Work Through State Earned Income Tax Credits
Reports Using ITEP Data
Pennsylvania Budget and Policy Center: Who Pays For An Increase in the Sales Tax: Analysis of the Tax Incidence of an Increase in the Sales Tax from 6% to 7.25%
Michigan League for Public Policy: Enough is Enough: Business Tax Cuts Fail to Grow Michigan's Economy, Hurt Budget