May 4, 2016For Immediate Release: May 4, 2016 Contact: Jenice R. Robinson, 202.299.1066 X29, Jenice@itep.org Earlier today, the Illinois Department of Revenue (ILDOR) released an economic analysis of the tax changes included in House Bill 689, which would transform the state’s...
April 13, 2016Alaskans are faced with a stark fiscal reality. Following the discovery of oil in the 1960s and 1970s, state lawmakers repealed their personal income tax and began funding government primarily through oil tax and royalty revenues. For decades, oil revenues filled roughly 90 percent of the state's general fund.
March 22, 2016Read full report in PDF Download detailed appendix with state-by-state information on deductions and credits (Excel) Every state levying a personal income tax offers at least one deduction or credit designed to defray the cost of higher education. In theory,...
February 24, 2016Read as a PDF. (Includes Full Appendix of State-by-State Data) Report Landing Page Public debates over federal immigration reform often suffer from insufficient and inaccurate information about the tax contributions of undocumented immigrants particularly at the state level. The truth...
Tennessee Hall Tax Repeal Would Overwhelmingly Benefit the Wealthy, Raise Tennesseans' Federal Tax Bills by $85 Million
February 23, 2016Read PDF of report. Tennessee lawmakers are giving serious consideration to repealing their state’s “Hall Tax” on investment income (so named for the state senator who sponsored the legislation creating the tax more than eighty years ago). But the Hall...
- State Tax Codes As Poverty Fighting Tools
- Undocumented Immigrants' State and Local Tax Contributions
- Who Pays? A Distributional Analysis of the Tax Systems in All 50 States (5th Edition)
- ITEP's Analyses of 2015 Tax Reform Proposals in the States
- Corporate Tax Dodging in the Fifty States
- Improving Tax Fairness with a State Earned Income Tax Credit
- Debunking Laffer on Tax Cuts and Economic Growth
- The ITEP Guide to Fair State and Local Taxes
Tax Justice Blog
- Donald Trump the Farmer? - 04/2016
- State Rundown 4/21: Scraping the Bottom of the Revenue Barrel - 04/2016
- Tax Justice Digest: Income Tax in Alaska -- Koch Brothers in Tennessee-- and More - 04/2016
Reports Using ITEP Data
Connecticut Voices for Children: Impact of the Governor's, Republican, and Democrat Proposed FY 2017 Budget on Children and Families
Hawaii Appleseed: State of Poverty 2016