January 14, 2015Who Pays?, A Distributional Analysis of the Tax Systems in All Fifty States (the fifth edition of the report), assesses the fairness of state and local tax systems by measuring the state and local taxes that will be paid in...
September 18, 2014Read the Report in PDF Form The Census Bureau released data in September showing that the share of Americans living in poverty remains high. In 2013, the national poverty rate was 14.5 percent, a slight drop from last years’ rate...
August 5, 2014Sales taxes are an important revenue source, comprising close to half of all state revenues in 2013. But sales taxes are also inherently regressive because the lower a family's income, the more of its income the family must spend on things subject to the tax.
July 30, 2014Read the Policy Brief in PDF Form Sales taxes are one of the most important revenue sources for state and local governments—and are also one of the most unfair taxes. In recent years, policymakers nationwide have struggled to find ways...
July 21, 2014For much of the last century, estate and inheritance taxes have played an important role in helping states to adequately fund public services in a way that improves the progressivity of state tax systems. While many of the taxes levied by state and local governments fall most heavily on low-income families, only the very wealthy pay estate and inheritance taxes. Recent changes in the federal estate tax, however, culminating in the "fiscal cliff " deal of early 2013, have forced states to reevaluate the structure of their estate and inheritance taxes. Unfortunately, the trend of late has tended toward weakening or completely eliminating state estate taxes. This policy brief discusses inheritance and estate taxes and how states can adopt these important components of a progressive tax structure.
- Who Pays? A Distributional Analysis of the Tax Systems in All 50 States (5th Edition)
- State Tax Codes As Poverty Fighting Tools
- Improving Tax Fairness with a State Earned Income Tax Credit
- Corporate Tax Explorer
- ITEP's Analyses of Tax Reform Proposals in the States
- Undocumented Immigrants' State and Local Tax Contributions
- Debunking Laffer on Tax Cuts and Economic Growth
- The ITEP Guide to Fair State and Local Taxes
Tax Justice Blog
- State Rundown 1/12: When Your Mouth Writes a Check Your State Can't Cash - 01/2015
- State Rundown 1/8: All Eyes on the Governors - 01/2015
- New Year, New Gas Tax Rates - 12/2014
Who Pays? 5th Edition
State Tax Codes As Poverty Fighting Tools
Reports Using ITEP Data
California Budget Project: A State EITC- Making California's Tax System Work Better for Working Families