ITEP is currently hiring for the positions of:
State Policy Analyst
Position Overview: The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP) seeks a policy analyst to advance our state fiscal policy work.
ITEP is a non-profit, non-partisan tax policy organization. We conduct rigorous analyses of tax and economic proposals and provide data-driven recommendations to make taxes equitable and sustainable. ITEP’s expertise and data enhance federal, state, and local policy debates by revealing how taxes affect both public revenues and people of various levels of income and wealth.
This is a crucial time for tax policy as lawmakers at all levels decide how to fund the public investments that shape our country and as debates over how to best curb income and wealth inequality rage on. We’re a small organization with an outsized influence on tax policy debates, so your individual contribution to ITEP and its goals can really make a difference! Our work helps everyone see that climate justice, worker justice, economic justice and racial justice all depend on asking rich people and corporations to pay their fair share, so we can fund our schools, fix our planet, address inequality and deliver a better world to all.
- Serve as the primary point of contact between ITEP and state researchers and advocates in assigned states (13-15 states including DC and Puerto Rico);
- Use the ITEP Microsimulation Tax Model to analyze the revenue and distributional impact of tax laws and proposals in various states. During state legislative sessions this work is highly time-sensitive and part of the role is working with the state team to assess the priority level of requests and complete the analysis and share with partners quickly enough to change the debate;
- With other members of the state policy team, lead or participate in research and analyses of a variety of state tax policy issues and communicate findings in reports, briefs, op-eds, blog posts, presentations, and other mediums. Each member of ITEP’s state policy team develops issue area expertise and the team collaborates on larger products such as our Who Pays? report. This position will specifically lead ITEP’s immigration tax policy work and play a core role in centering racial and gender equity in our work;
- Monitor trends in state tax policy across states and specifically in assigned states. Contribute weekly to the State Tax Rundown blog and newsletter with stories from your states.
Desired Experience and Skills:
- An interest in tax equity and adequacy;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to communicate technical information clearly to lay audiences both in writing and through public speaking;
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, and an interest in problem-solving;
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, and ability to prioritize tasks;
- Willingness to work as a part of a team and in close collaboration with partners;
- Two to five years of relevant work experience is required; graduate degree preferred.
The policy analyst will report to ITEP’s Deputy Executive Director.
ITEP is based in Washington, DC, however, remote-working arrangements are possible under this position.
Salary Range: $60,000-$80,000 commensurate with experience
Additionally, ITEP provides the following benefits effective on your official start date (according and subject to the terms and conditions of the ITEP employee handbook):
- ITEP pays 100 percent of the premium for health and dental insurance for you and your family members.
- ITEP provides a 403 (B) plan as a pension benefit and contributes 10% of employee’s salary to the plan.
- ITEP recognizes all federal holidays and closes its office the week between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day.
- Employees are allowed to take paid leave for vacation and sick time at their discretion, provided that they give advance notice to their supervisor.
- ITEP provides 12 weeks of paid parental leave. After five years of consecutive employment ITEP staff are eligible for a 6-week paid sabbatical.
To apply, please e-mail a resume and cover letter to [email protected].
The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP) is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and welcomes diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of any protected status under federal or local law including Minorities/Women/Disabilities/Veterans.